It is our mission to enrich the lives of our patients by providing unparalleled collaborative care and clear communication in a friendly, welcoming environment.
We are the only private knee clinic in Alberta and are not affiliated with any public knee clinic initiatives. Every year in Alberta, between 25 000 and 100 000 people injure their knees. The busiest University based knee clinics see at most 2000 patients per year, with only 1.2% of these patients being seen within the AHS recommended standard of care timeframe of 48 - 72 hours post injury.
More worryingly, only 5% of Alberta Physicians are reaching the standard of care regarding appropriate knee examinations. Over the past 20 years, the amount of time a medical student is provided to learn about the identification, assessment and treatment of muscle and joint injuries has decreased by approximately 75%.
Less than 5% of medical school training is focused on learning about the musculo-skeletal system, and yet the average family physician spends 20 - 30% of their clinical day attempting to deal with these cases.
Clearly, and alternative is needed, and our Knee Clinic is a step in that direction.
As a fellow of the Royal College of Chiropractic Sport Sciences, Dr. Dale Macdonald is one of only four manual sport specialists in Alberta. Our private, fee for service facility reaches the 48 - 72 hour standard of care for initial assessment of your knee injury over 95% of the time, and our wait times are never over 2 weeks. In collaboration with the highly trained staff of Elite Sport Performance, we are able to offer a full spectrum of services for the patient with an injured knee. These include:
- Timely assessment and diagnosis by a sport specialist.
- Direct surgical referral through either the public or private health care systems.
- Advanced Imaging referral (MRI, CT, Diagnostic US) through either public or private streams.
- Custom Knee Brace prescription and acquisition.
- Knee joint injection referrals (Synvisc, PRP, Hyaluronic acid, cortisoneand Prolotherapy).
- Rehabilitation (both pre and post-operative as well as non-operative rehab).
- Physiotherapy, Kinesiology, Registered Massage Therapy, Acupuncture, IMS and chiropractic.
- Communication with your family physician and other members of your health care team.
This approach to health care saves you the burden of going weeks to months without knowing what is wrong with your knee or being able to confidently takes steps to recuperation.